PARTNER | NEW YORK
Wayne Chan is a Partner and head of the Investment Management practice group at BurgherGray, LLP. His clients principally includes leading financial institutions as well as investment fund managers. Spanning over 25 years, Wayne’s experience comprises open- and close-ended registered and private funds, and a range of fund types/asset classes, including private equity, hedge fund, real estate funds, and venture funds, both onshore and offshore. His experience covers the full life cycle of a fund, from structuring/formation, marketing, regulatory compliance, and portfolio transactions to dissolution, across a variety of fund investment strategies and products including, without limitation, buy-out, growth equity, private infrastructure, insurance dedicated, project finance, and private credit, as well as tokenized, semi liquid, and permanent capital funds. Leveraging his breadth of experience gained from his years as both outside and in-house counsel, Wayne advises his clients on the full section of issues and challenges that arise in the context of structuring, documenting, launching, operating, and managing funds.
Wayne began his investment management legal career as an associate in the Asset Management Group at Shearman & Sterling, LLP (NY), where he worked closely with the likes of Barry Barbash and Joel Goldberg, former Directors of the SEC Division of Investment Management, advising leading global registered investment advisers and fund complexes. Following his tenure as outside legal counsel, Wayne joined J.P. Morgan/J.P. Morgan Asset Management (over $3 trillion AUM), where he spent the next approximately 14 years in various roles, including the following:
- Executive Director and Assistant General Counsel with responsibilities that included leading the reorganization of the entire J.P. Morgan fund complex after the 2001 J.P. Morgan-Chase merger and the J.P. Morgan–Bank One Corporation fund complex merger
- Corporate Secretary for the entire J.P. Morgan registered fund complex
- Chief Legal Officer supporting J.P. Morgan Alternative Asset Management, covering the Global Investment Management institutional business, including advising on the acquisition of registered investment advisers Highbridge Capital Management, Bear Stearns Asset Management and Bank One Investment Advisers
Wayne continued to hone his technical, strategic advisory and management skills as in-house counsel when he joined Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. and BBH Capital Partners as Senior Vice President and Senior Counsel supporting private funds and private equity funds and a Member of Management supporting Partners Group, a global private equity firm with approximately $135 billion AUM. Immediately prior to joining BurgherGray, Wayne was the General Counsel of Memphre Investments, L.P., a long-only equity hedge fund based in Greenwich, Connecticut.
Wayne is a graduate of Yale University (B.A., 1991, Political Science (International Relations) and History), St. John’s Law School (J.D., 1997; Staff Member, St. John’s Law Review), and the U.S. Army War College (Masters of Strategic Studies, 2019). From 1998 to 2021, he served as Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Army in the Army JAG Corps, a special branch, (Reserve Component and active duty), and as Special Assistant U.S. Attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice from 2005-2007.
- Investment Management
- J.D., St. John’s Law School (Staff Member, St. John’s Law Review)
- Masters of Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College
- B.A., Yale University (Political Science – International Relations)
- State of New York